Tuesday, March 13, 2007

-- about me --

Good afternoon everyone,


I want to begin my blog by telling everyone about myself.


I am almost twenty years old, and I am a currently attending The University of Mary Washington. Recently I have been very confused with what I wanted my future to be. Although I attend a university, academics have always been boring for me, because I had little interest in becoming a scholar. I do enjoy reading and learning, but not for the sake of grading or income.


My dream for the last six months was to play a board game (Go) professionally. Although, after talking to Guo Juan, a Go Professional (5p), for an hour I learned that Go professionally is not everything I dreamt it was. I understood that it would be work, studying, and small income, but I had never realized the freedom it stole from you. Also, I have learned that at my age it is difficult, and almost impossible to become a professional.


My dream has changed from wanting to play Go professionally, to something more glamorous. I want to play Go to the best of my ability for the Western World. As of now, I must put my studies of Go secondary to school, because I hope to make myself wealthy in the field of business. With this wealth I hope to better Go in the Western World, so when a child from the US wants to play Go professionally he or she can.


I will never stop studying Go, nor will I put my goal of being the best behind me. I promise to everyone that I will study my hardest for both school and Go.


I would like to end this post with a reflection on Guo Juan’s words. She told me to, “Earn your freedom now, and enjoy go forever.”


Thank you for reading,


Sincerely,


David L. Bowman

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds great, glad you are figuring out what works best for you and your future.

Good luck in your endeavors, both go and school wise.

NannyOgg

li ang (lyonweiqi) said...

enjoy the game,and I wish give you helpful

ChiyoDad said...

The folks who typically buy Mr. Kuroki's most expensive Go equipment (super-thick Hyuga Kaya and Hyuga shell stones) are often captains of their industries in Japan ... not professional Go players.